Thursday, October 2, 2008

The First One

So as many of my friends know, I've been working as a quasi au pair for a little over a year, and recently began working for a new bagel shop in my area. Emily, or "The Brat", as I sometimes refer to her as is the 11 year old daughter of a divorced "Main Line Mommy." She has her moments where she can be really cute, almost entertaining, but then there are the times when I could almost mistake her for the devil's spawn. You know the type. She can go from sweet to toxic as fast as it takes to say NO! In the year that I've lived with her and her mother there have been many times when I have had to fight the urge to simly get up and pack up my things and leave because of the crap her mother takes from her. At first, she tried pulling that crap with me. Stomping around when she didn't get her way, screaming, and all out temper tantrums, but pretty soon she realized HOMIE DON"T PLAY THAT! Being an Au pair or being involved in any kind of child care can be the BEST form of birth control ever. Honestly working with a child like Emily makes me wonder if I want to deal with a child and NOT BE ABLE TO GIVE HIM/HER BACK!

I know it may sound harsh but how would You like to be woken up at 6:30 in the morning by a girl screaming at her mother because she won't let her go downstairs to watch TV before breakfast. I later tried to explain to Emily that had that been me with my parents, I would've been smacked so hard and so fast I would've felt it the next time I thought about raising my voice at them again.

For those of you that don't know the Main Line in Pennsylvania(right outside of Philly), let me paint a pretty picture for you. If you walk into the bagel shop I work for and take a good long look around you will most likely see the studious college student tapping away at the keys on their Mac(or other sweet piece of machinery), Moms with their precious little tykes dressed in "Baby Polo" and Crocs, the unaffected youth(too cool for school) yapping away on their cell phone, The high school students, or as I like to call them "prostitots" grabbing a snack on the walk home from school(mom and dad are too busy at work to come pick them up).Let's not forget the one or two "crazies" that like to frequent our establishment. Life would just be too boring without them wouldn't it? A day just wouldn't be complete with that one person that makes you feel like ants are crawling under your skin.

Working at the Bagel Shop has been an adventure. I mean, there are burn hazards, knives being wielded and waves of rich people coming in demanding their scooped out sesame seed bagels with light cream cheese(believe me if we could remove the carbs, they would have us do it too) and waiting for us to screw up so they have someone to yell at. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the mountains of dishes I get to wash, and end of day paper work i get to do, all for a whopping $8/hr. I know, my BA is being put to work!

I work with a nice mix of people. From a manager who enjoys making myself and my co-workers feel uber uncomfortable from telling one guy he would keep his girlfriend occupied while he helped closed the store, to calling most of the female workers baby just about every chance he gets(I have somehow managed to get him out of calling me baby by mastering the ice queen stare whenever he slips up).To a 21 year old mamma's boy who refused to come in (Aka) because he never had a day off (either at work or school) and had a, get this, 3-page paper due the next day and he had "just found out about it." Yeah, I work with a few real winners. Don't get me wrong. I've got my gal pals that I gossip with, because a work environment is just hostile if you don't get to people watch and make fun of the people you see. However, some of my co-workers are enough to drive the pope to drink. I find myself going to a corner of the bakery(sometimes the walk-in refrigerator) to take deep cleansing breaths a lot because of them. I try to keep away violent rage as best I can. I find that frown lines are not attractive at all.

No comments: